quinta-feira, 26 de julho de 2012

Como dizer: Dormir feito pedra

Hi everyone, how is it going? Well, I hope life has been treating you kind! This is Alisson Viana with a new Dicas de Inglês. Today’s “How to” is all about the expression sleep like a log.

Well, as you may already know July’s coming and that means: Holidays. Yes, that’s just great. Is there any other better thing than that? You don’t need to wake up early, don’t need to keep thinking about tests, like I normally do. Not mention that you can spend hours in front of your computer talking to your online friends and dedicate more time to learn English here with me at Dicas de Inglês.

There is something that you don’t know about me, which is I do like sleeping. When I am on holidays I usually sleep like a log. Even though my mother keeps saying: “Alisson, you should not sleep so much.” Hey, hold on a second! What did I mean by sleep like a log? It sounds a little strange, doesn’t it? Yes, it does. However there is a slightly similar expression in Portuguese, which is: “Dormir feito pedra.” Yes, I bet you’ve heard of it or even said that before.

In English when someone sleeps very soundly that even a thunderstorm wouldn’t wake him up, we say that he sleeps like a log. As you know a log is a thick piece or tree trunk or branch, specially one cut for burning on a fire, and it is not need to say that a log cannot move, right? So, if you are going to do like me and sleep for hours, you probably are going to sleep like a log. Let’s see another example with this same expression.

Everyone in our family sleeps like a log, so no one heard the thunderstorm in the middle of the night. Nothing can wake us up. We usually sleep like a baby.

Well guys I am afraid I have to go now, I hope you’ve enjoyed my tip and learned something new today. Don’t forget that whenever you have any question; just ask me leave me a comment that I will be right there waiting for you. Thank you very much and see you next time.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário