quarta-feira, 27 de junho de 2012

On time or In time





Hello everyone. Welcome to a new episode of “Dicas de Inglês” podcast. To download the mp3 or the script go for dicasdeingles62.blospot.com.br and if you also want to keep in touch with me add me on facebook.

So, before we start with our podcast, let me introduce you my two best friends. They are Derpe and Derpina. I’m quite sure that you have already heard about them or even bumped into one of them since they are pretty famous in almost every social network.

Do you think you know everything about both of them? I guess you may even know a lot about their lives, but today I am going to tell you some of their good and bad qualities.

Derpe despite being a good and funny guy he has a fault that most people disapprove. He never arrives on time at his appointments. Which means that he is always late or too late for whatever it is. If a meeting is said to start at 7.30 - it is likely that he will arrive at about 8 o'clock.

But what is it to blame? Maybe his crazy schedule, because he is always busy. That's why he ends up by becoming a bit forgetful.

On the other hand, Derpina is totally the opposite of his boyfriend. This young and pretty lady is always fulfilling her obligations. If someone tells her that she has to arrive at 7.30 - be sure she will be there at 7.30, no more no less. She loves to be on time At the time which was planned.

Now lets us focus our attention on the two expressions we are using till here: on time and in time.

On time means: punctual, not late. If something happens on time, it happens at the time which was planned. See some more examples:

The 8.30 airplane took off on time. ( Which means it took off exaclty at 8.30)

I'll pick you up at 7 o’clock. "OK. but please be on time (Which means do not be late, pick me up at 7 o’clock sharp).

In time means: soon enough “Okay, I didn’t get there at the time which was planned, but at least I managed to see something. For example:

I'm in a hurry. I want to be home in time to see the game on television. (Here is means: I am not going to watch it from the beginning, but at least I'll be able to watch something).

Well, that was it for today. I hope you like it and if there is anything you didn't understand please send me an email and I will answer to you.See you next time

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário